Peace Church - Camp Hill, PA

Conrad Doll - 1807


The organ in St. John's Lutheran ("Peace") Church was constructed by Conrad Doll in 1807. The contract was signed on July 6 and stipulated that it was to take no longer than five months! This instrument was at least his third or fourth organ. There are also two small chamber organs by Doll that have survived. This organ may well be the largest and most sophisticated organ made by Doll. The organ was rebuilt in 1887 by Samuel Bohler after Peace Church built a new church building across the street. Bohler moved the organ to the new building. At this time, he replaced the 10 Principal pipes in the two side towers with zinc replacements and converted the Clarabel into a Melodia by inverting the mouths. The case was also grain painted. In 1954, the organ was moved back to Peace Church. In 1973-1974, the organ was completely restored by the Noack Organ Co. of Georgetown, MA. The Bohler alterations were undone and the case was repainted in its original white.

Peace Church and the Doll organ are now owned by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission and are maintained by the Friends of Peace Church.

The stop list is:

Manual: C-e3, 53 notes
Gedackt
8F.
Dulciana
8F.
Principal
4F.
Clarabel
4F.
Flute
4F.
Fifteenth
2F.

The Gedackt 8' and Flute 4' are stopped wood while the Clarabel 4' is open. Both ranks have walnut trebles as in Tannenberg organs. The Dulciana shares the lowest 15 pipes with the Gedackt.

Click on the thumbnails to see the larger pictures:

 

Chapter 5
Home Page